Sharetrails Archive Site
Return to Current Site

AGO - Additional "Listening Sessions" Announced for Chicago, Illinois

August 19, 2010 6:00 AM

BRC ACTION ALERT
AGO - Additional "Listening Sessions" Announced for Chicago, Illinois

Greetings BRC Action Alert Subscribers!

On April 16, 2010, President Obama signed a Presidential Memorandum that will radically change the U.S. Government's conservation policy. The Memorandum created the America's Great Outdoors Initiative which, among other things, will take public input on how to conserve public and private lands and how to promote outdoor recreation among young Americans.

It is important that off-highway vehicle and mountain bike users participate. OHV, snowmobile and mountain bike recreation are family-oriented activities that connect millions of Americans to the out-of-doors. It is especially critical for our young people to attend these sessions, to make sure that their voices are heard as well. If your son or daughter snowmobile, ride a mountain bike recreation, horse or OHV, please encourage them to attend the Youth Listening Session.

Additional "Listening Sessions" has just been announced for Chicago, Illinois. (See schedule below) These events are free and open to the public.

Upcoming Listening Sessions (more to come)

Listening Session and Discussion Information

General Listening Session

WHEN:  Tuesday, August 31, 2010  from 8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.

WHERE:  Northwestern University School of Law
                 Thorne Auditorium
                 375 E. Chicago Ave
                 Chicago, IL 60611

WHO:  National and local leadership from Department of Health and Human Services, the Department of the Interior, the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the Environmental Protection Agency, and the White House Council on Environmental Quality will be present to hear your thoughts and to participate in a conversation with you about America's Great Outdoors.

PLEASE REGISTER:   To reserve a seat in the discussion, please register in advance via email below with:
     •   your name
     •   the name of the organization with which you are affiliated, if any
     •   your telephone number
     •   an email address where we may confirm your registration

 RSVPHEALTHAGO@hhs.gov

NOTE: (Onsite registrations will be accepted if space is available.)

Youth Listening Session (High School & College)

WHEN:  Tuesday, August 31, 2010  from  5:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.

WHERE:  Prentice Women's Hospital
                 250 East Superior Street - Room L
                 Chicago, IL 60611

WHO:  National and local leadership from Department of Health and Human Services, the Department of the Interior, the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the Environmental Protection Agency, and the White House Council on Environmental Quality will be present to hear your thoughts and to participate in a conversation with you about America's Great Outdoors.

PLEASE REGISTER:   To reserve a seat in the discussion, please register in advance via email below with:
     •   your name
     •   the name of the organization with which you are affiliated, if any
     •   your telephone number
     •   an email address where we may confirm your registration

RSVPYouthAGO@hhs.gov

NOTE: (Onsite registrations will be accepted if space is available.)

Transportation:
Please consider public transportation to the event:
     •   CTA Bus Route #66 Chicago Ave
     •   CTA Red Line "L" train: exit train at Chicago Ave stop walk/take cab/bike
                 east to event space
Address: Chicago Ave. and 800 N. State Street

Parking at Northwestern Memorial Hospital:
The main parking structure is located at the Huron/St. Clair parking garage, 222 East Huron St.
     •   $10 for less than seven hours
     •   $22 for seven to 24 hours

A validation for a parking discounts may be available at customer service desks located in Feinberg/Galter Pavilions, 1st and 2nd floor, and Prentice Women's Hospital, 1st floor.

Questions:
If you have questions, please call Andrea Cernich at 240-276-9869.

There is also an online forum that allows folks to make suggestions and comment on ideas others have suggested. We encourage you to attend the meetings and/or to log on and express your opinion via the America's Great Outdoors website at http://www.doi.gov/americasgreatoutdoors/.

There is limited time to give input, so please take action today, and keep an eye on your inbox for additional information and analysis.

Thanks!
Brian Hawthorne
Public Lands Policy Director
BlueRibbon Coalition
208-237-1008 ext 102

IMPORTANT PS: Just received some important info from the American Recreation Coalition (ARC), about a briefing and planning session on August 30, and THE Great Outdoor Poster event, taking place after the General Listening Sessions. I have pasted the information below, please take a couple of minutes to read it over, pass it along and get involved.

From:  Derrick Crandall
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 06:00:56 -0500
To: Undisclosed Recipients
Subject: NOW OFFICIAL: Health and the Great Outdoors AGO Session in Chicago -- August 31

You should have received the attached notice by email yesterday - but I wanted to be certain.

I urge you to register ASAP.

We plan a briefing and planning session on 8/30 between 2 and 4 PM at the headquarters of the Chicago Parks District.  There will be a poster session on 8/31 immediately following the general listening session - I encourage you to plan to tell your story!  Details are below. And there will be a reception on 8/31, following the Youth Listening Session.  Details soon.

Derrick

Derrick A. Crandall, President
American Recreation Coalition
1225 New York Avenue, NW
      Suite 450
Washington, DC 20005
202-682-9530/Fax 202-682-9529

www.funoutdoors.com

Health and the Great Outdoors Poster Session Invitation
A coordinated event for the America's Great Outdoors Listening Session
August 31, 2010
Northwestern University School of Law
Chicago, Illinois

On April 16, President Barack Obama launched a national dialogue on conservation and reconnecting Americans to the outdoors.   The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services will host a listening session on the topic of health and the outdoors on August 31, 2010 in Chicago, Illinois.  The point of the listening session is to help shape a report to the President about important opportunities for healthier living through the Great Outdoors.  The report is due November 15, 2010, and is likely to result in both Presidential and Congressional actions.

On Tuesday, August 31, the official America's Great Outdoors Initiative Listening Session on Health and the Great Outdoors will be held at the Northwestern University School of Law campus in Chicago.  Key officials from the Departments of the Interior, Health and Human Services and Agriculture and the Environmental Protection Agency will participate and listen to the comments of individuals and organizations on this key topic.  They are interested in ideas that will support the First Lady's campaign against childhood obesity - Let's Move - and how existing and additional open spaces can be ingredients in healthier lifestyles.

We are hosting a poster session immediately following the listening session to continue the sharing of information about your efforts and your ideas of how key government agencies, non-profits and corporations can build new programs aiding both our health and our Great Outdoors.

Tuesday, August 31
8:30 am - 12:30 pm:  AGO Listening Session on Health and the Outdoors

12:30 - 3:00 pm:  Health and the Outdoors Poster Session

*The poster session will immediately follow the listening session, time subject to change.  Participating organizations will gather to display and highlight their programs.  We welcome your participation.

Why Participate?
Participating in the Poster Session will showcase diverse, effective, programs taking place across the nation and will:

  • Show the administration a collection of proven, replicable programs
  • Show how the outdoors can be used as a valuable, enjoyable resource for health
  • Help inspire officials to expand and replicate successful programs

Instructions for Poster Session Participation:
Register to participate in the Health and the Great Outdoors Poster Session
by filling out this form.

(http://ggnpc.convio.net/site/Survey?ACTION_REQUIRED=URI_ACTION_USER_REQUESTS&SURVEY_ID=6021)

We encourage all groups to bring their own table-top displays and posters with easels to the poster session.  Once you have registered, we will send more details regarding the exact location and format for the poster session via e-mail.

For more information, please visit:
America's Great Outdoors Initiative
The Institute at the Golden Gate
American Recreation Coalition

*Please share this invitation with your colleagues and submit your comments to the America's Great Outdoors website.  For more information on the America's Great Outdoors Initiative, visit http://www.doi.gov/americasgreatoutdoors/

The Institute at the Golden Gate and the American Recreation Coalition are providing support to organize the poster session.

*For questions please contact the Institute at the Golden Gate via e-mail at events@instituteatgoldengate.org.

The BlueRibbon Coalition is a national (non-profit) trail-saving group that represents over 600,000 recreationists nationwide The Combined Federal Campaign (CFC) season is beginning. Federal employees, please mark BlueRibbon Coalition and Check #11402 on your CFC pledge form to support our efforts to protect your access. Join us at 1-800-258-3742 http://archive.sharetrails.org

As a non-profit, grassroots organization funded primarily by membership dues and donations, we greatly appreciate your support. Visit http://archive.sharetrails.org/make-a-difference-now to help fund our efforts to protect your trails!

May 31, 2016 10:48 AM
MONTANA - Custer Gallatin NF Forest Plan Revision June Public Meetings Announced
In January, the 3.1 million acre Custer Gallatin National Forest started on a Forest Plan Revision, a four-year process that will ultimately give way to a new forest plan. The Forest Service will host a second set of public meetings across various communities between June 14 and June 30. The focus of this second set of meetings will be the preliminary results from the Assessment of Existing Conditions to date and provide a forum for those attending the meetings and
May 23, 2016 1:40 PM
Sawtooth National Recreation Area Wants Your Input on the Wood River Travel Plan
The Sawtooth National Recreation Area (NRA) is announcing the availability of the proposed action for the Big Wood Travel Management Plan. The purpose of this plan is to bring road and trail use into compliance with the Forest Plan, laws, and regulations; to provide a system of roads and trails for public access and recreational travel; to manage resource impacts that are occurring due to the use of roads and trails; and to rehabilitate non-system routes identified as a problem
May 20, 2016 8:32 AM
CALIFORNIA - Public Invited to Rasor Off-Highway Vehicle Area Tour and Comment
The Bureau of Land Management (BLM), Barstow Field Office, has scheduled three tour rides of the Rasor Road Off-Highway Vehicle Area OHV area to identify locations used for riding, camping, as well as to assess use habits and general conditions of the area. The California Desert Conservation Area (CDCA) Plan of 1980 mandated a recreation plan to address the intensive OHV activity of the Rasor Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) Area. Public meetings were held on April 28, May 5, and May 12
[Action Alerts Archive]